Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Visit to the Cheese Factory

What better place for a mouse to visit? What I learned:

Three of these towers filled with milk are used 6 days a week to make fresh cheese curds.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The milk is sent, via an underground pipe, across the street where it is made into cheese curds. This is me on the cooooold pipe.

This is a picture of the silos on the side of the street I am on. One is very very cold and one is warm.

Inside the building the cheese curds blow out chutes and are collected in these big vats. A rake like thing rakes them for hours separating the curds and whey.

The cheese factory sells the fresh curds to customers as well as sell them in bulk quantities to Kraft. So the next time you eat any cheesy meals from Kraft you will know where some of the cheddar cheese came from!

1 comment:

playingschool said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment this morning. I've really got to get back to some housework, but I just took a quick peak at your blog. I love your little mouse! Can't wait to spend some more time looking...
Dana